Sunday, November 20, 2011

When a Week Doesn't get Planned...

I just wanted to share some easy meal ideas for a week when things don't go as planned...or when planning doesn't get done for the week.  This past week I had no meals planned...so every day was an 'okay, what am I going to make today?' day.  I don't think that's so much fun.  But we stuck to simple meals and the week went pretty well with our eating!  We did eat out for a dinner, but that was more just because our home needed a lot of attention by the end of the week and I knew getting our home in order for the weekend was important.

Praise the Lord, we were able to stay consistent with juicing, which has helped us tremendously in a short time.  

So here's what we ate this week (and I made larger meals so we had plenty of leftovers for lunches).
  • Taco Soup (made in crock pot)
  • Beef Bourguinon 
  • Chicken Cilantro Soup  (made a large pot and had leftovers for lunch for 2 days!)
  • Breakfast for Dinner - eggs scrambled with browned sausage, sauteed onions, roasted sweet potato fries (not GAPS legal, but it's something we eat every now and then)
  • Meatloaf, roasted cauliflower (I was out of mushrooms, so I simply made the meatloaf without mushrooms and our boys loved it!)
  • Canned Salmon with sauerkraut and raw butter, smoothies with coconut milk and homemade yogurt and frozen fruit, pumpkin clafoutis
Other easy to throw together ideas: (I was keeping these in the back of my mind as options)


Roasted Chicken - I often do this in my crockpot, even from an entirely frozen whole chicken (there's nothing inside the body cavity in our chickens).  I will let it warm up a bit in the crockpot and then pour melted butter or olive oil and seasonings, salt, and pepper on top and let it cook all day.


Ground Beef - thaw it in warm/cool water in a big bowl or sink and brown it with veggies (onions and peas are great) and add an herb (like basil or oregano, or both) and salt and pepper.  We have made this a simple meal before, and of course adding a simple side vegetable or fruit or yogurt or simple soup makes it very satisfying.  Of course you can easily make a simple spaghetti sauce (tomato puree, salt, and Italian herbs) and bake in the oven over pre-cooked spaghetti squash or over sliced or 'noodled' zucchini.  Or make taco meat to serve with veggies, yogurt or homemade sour cream, raw cheese, and avocado. 

I love knowing what other people do for good dinners when you aren't well planned...any thoughts?!  I'd love to share ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly