Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Eggs in a Nest - Fun Breakfast!!

 I used to do eggs fried inside a holed piece of bread when we ate grains...

I had never thought to do something fun like this with veggies, though! 



I saw the idea here...and I already had some zucchini and yellow squash shredded in the fridge, so I just made it with that! 

Recipe: Eggs in a Nest
This was so fun (to myself and always encouraging hubby...the boys didn't really care that it looked fun).  It was also SO yummy.  I am looking forward to trying different veggie mixtures!  I didn't feel like dragging a cast iron lid out, so I just let them cook until well set and then clumsily flipped them over for just a minute to set the top and keep the yolks how we like them - soft/runny. 


Ingredients: 
2 cups shredded zucchini/yellow squash/butternut squash
Butter or Ghee or bacon grease or lard or something fun like that :-)
4 eggs
salt and pepper

Instructions:
Heat skillet (love my cast iron!) and saute squash with 1-2 tbsp of fat until soft and starting to brown (less time for summer squashes, more time for winter).  Once cooked, form into little 'nests' - rings of veggies.  I did mine with a hole in the middle about the size of an egg, but you really can do whatever, because even if the egg spills out, it's still fun and yummy!  I love to add a thin slice of butter or small dollop of ghee where the egg is going to go (to help with the egg sticking) and let it melt, and then quickly crack the egg into the hole. Sprinkle with salt and pepper Let cook until set, then flip over to set top (OR much easier - put lid over skillet to cook until egg is set!).  Serve!  SO yummy!

So I have to share a funny baby story.  I don't know why our little one is such an easy eater (easy in that he eats almost anything we give him...not easy in the area of keeping him full and satisfied!), but I am thankful for it!  Tonight at dinner we had one of our favorite meals, which is chicken cilantro soup with some of our homemade yogurt in it.  Usually he eats that up.  Tonight he was throwing fits about eating.  So what did I do?  I busted out some cooked ground liver from our fridge (that I will share more about soon!) and we offered it to him.  He tasted it and immediately signed for more.  He ate probably a grown-up spoonful and then progressed on to eating slices of butter...and drinking all the broth from the soup he still refused to eat.  He cracks me up. 

What would you choose?  ;-)  Ah, the liver...
Feeding himself (sorry about the pink spoon, little boy...)
Then it was butter and liver...
Funny baby...

1 comment:

  1. funny baby Herzog~w/ gorgeous baby BLUES..can't wait to see you this weekend!!!! XO~mimi

    ReplyDelete

Print Friendly