Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Today's Food Fun! And It really WAS fun!

 Chicken Enchiladas (well, just the chicken and sauce part...) and Cauliflower Rice...

Mmmm...this was so yummy!  I am battling the end of a sickness turned into attack on my left sinus cavity, so I think my taste buds were a bit lacking.  I thought both recipes were really good!  Hubby loved them and baby boy loved them and little mister loved the chicken enchilada part, but he was not happy about the cauliflower rice because of the onions in it.  Silly boy.  It was nice to have a creamy dish like this!

Recipe: Chicken Enchiladas (original recipe here.  I modified a little.)

Ingredients: 
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons coconut oil or grass fed butter or ghee
2 cups tomato puree (can make your own using 4 large tomatoes pureed in a food processor)
1/2-1 cup chicken broth
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder **I used less than 2 tsp and it was spicy to me! :-)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
about 1 lb of chicken (can use other meat - ground beef, etc...I only used about 12 oz of cooked chicken)

Instructions:
1. Saute the onions in the coconut oil or butter until limp.
2. Add the tomato puree, broth, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt.  Mix well and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.
3. Pour the sauce into a food processor and process until smooth. (I used immersion blender)
4. Return to pan, add cooked chicken, cut into chunks or shredded, and heat through.
5. Serve with sliced avocados, lime wedges, and cilantro.  AND for extra yumminess and gut health, use homemade sour cream/yogurt cream/yogurt on top as well! 
 
Recipe: Cauliflower 'Rice'
Recipe here from Elana's Pantry

Ingredients: 
4 tablespoons butter, ghee, or coconut oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup celery, finely diced
1 head cauliflower, trimmed and coarsely chopped (I put it through my food processor's grater)
¼ teaspoon celtic salt (I did it to taste, so I used more!) 
Instructions: 
In a large skillet (I used my Le Creuset Casserole dish - large skillet/wok type dish with lid) melt fat and saute onion and celery until soft, about 10 minutes.  Add shredded/chopped cauliflower, stir, cover, and cook 5-10 minutes, until cauliflower is soft.  You could continue cooking with lid off to brown it some if desired.  Add salt to taste. 

We loved this!  I loved the flavor coconut oil gave to this - coconut oil and sauteed onions are just so yummy together.  You could always add spices/herbs to make it complement whatever meat dish you are having. 

Dessert time...Yep...dessert...

Here's my whisk about to get licked cleaned.
 This is what happens when you take...some shredded coconut, cinnamon powder...
 Grass fed Butter, Raw Honey, cinnamon, and vanilla...
 And you put it all together and get some truffles...mmmmm....
We loved these.  Totally satisfied my butter craving (yep, I have butter cravings).  We especially liked them rolled in cinnamon or cinnamon and coconut flakes.  Nice way to end the day! 

Recipe: Cinnamon Truffles
(no modifications to her recipe...)
**My notes: I suggest just using spoons to drop small portions of the mixture into the bowls of what you are rolling the truffle in.  Then just shake the bowl around really well to coat!  That way you don't have to fight butter all over your fingers.  Also, put in fridge to harden up after making them, or in the freezer if you want to eat them RIGHT NOW.  :-) Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Chicken enchiladas were very yummy, especially with shredded lettuce! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Print Friendly