Monday, October 10, 2011

Meal Plan! Week 3 {Plan It - Don't Panic}

Well, it is week 3 of the meal planning challenge, and yes, I totally skipped week 2!  I am awesome.  And yes, I have been absent here a while.  We have basically been sick around here for the past 3 weeks, and last weekend, the stomach virus devil attacked my baby.  And that is why I haven't been around in the blog world.  Little mister also got sick again and ended up with croup (he is SO my child).  So I spent the week taking care of life and just trying to keep food on the table every day.

I gave up planning the week out and embraced just managing each day instead of trying to plan out the rest of the week.  It went surprisingly well, and I am thankful I had prepped a lot of veggies the week before that I was still able to rely on for a few meals.  I also had the chance to use some frozen meatballs I had put together the week before.  Nothing quite as exciting as wondering what's for dinner and then just pulling a bag of frozen meatballs out of the freezer and cooking...okay, maybe I need to get out more! :-) 

So here's our plan for this week!  And I DO plan on being back on here more often to share recipe successes and why we do what we do.  One little GAPS endorsement note: at church yesterday, I realized I didn't even think about the sugary treats that were in our bible study class...I didn't care about them, didn't think about eating them, and didn't feel deprived.  And this was on 4 hours of sleep, too!  And I was able to stay awake and fairly focused during all of church, even on a week of horrible sleep and a night of so little.  Yay. 

I strive to have meals planned out on each day - so I can prepare for prep ahead of time and know exactly what the plans are for each day (I am not a naturally organized person, so I need extreme structure to accomplish our food goals!).  However, we are recovering from sicknesses and now our 3 year old has an ear infection that attacked in the middle of the night last night, so time and mental energy has been lacking today to plan in such a detailed way.  So, for this week (and this week only I have committed!), I am just listing everything I plan on making and will just decided day by day what to make based on what the day will hold.  We'll see how it goes :-). 


Non-meal items to try this week:

Ranch Dressing made from yogurt 

Coconut oil mayonnaise 

Dinners:

Cabbage Roll Casserole

Paleo Salisbury Steaks

Taco Soup (ground beef, beef broth, taco seasonings, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, turnip, celery...this will be an experiment I will share if all my boys approve!)

Smoky Pot Roast (so excited to try this!)  


Chicken Cilantro Soup (with lemon juice squeezed in and yogurt on top or mixed in)

Roasted Chicken (butter, poultry herbs, parsley, celtic salt and pepper)

Baked Salmon (simple butter, lemon, thyme on top)

Light meals (lunch or part of dinner):

Tom Kha Gai: Thai Coconut Soup Recipe

Butternut Squash Soup (Chicken broth,Onion, Butternut squash, Nutmeg, Ghee, Cinnamon, Ginger)

Summer Squash Soup


Paleo Chicken Noodle Soup

Chicken Salad (if mayonnaise is successful!) wrapped in steamed cabbage leaves or on salad

Carrot Soup

Lunches will include leftovers from dinner the night before, the soups above, and probably a smoothie here and there (usually consist of homemade yogurt, coconut milk, coconut oil, frozen bananas, maybe frozen raspberries, and always at least 1-2 egg yolks per person).

Breakfasts: 
Scrambled eggs (so exciting! ;-) )
Casserole - just eggs, browned sausage, and a vegetable
Eggs in Nests
Pancakes

Vegetables to use:
Okra (roasting it - try either this or this)
Much zucchini and yellow squash (sauteed, roasted, in soups, dehydrated as chips)
butternut squash (baked and used in pancakes, as snacks, in soup, cut and roasted in small cubes or as fries)
avocados (with soups, scrambled eggs)
spinach (cooked and used in breakfast casserole, possibly a soup, and raw in salad)
Salad - lettuces and cucumber with this dressing (Italian dressing - I don't use the Parmesan and just add salt to taste instead - I also don't use paprika because I like the non-red color :-) )
Carrots, Turnips - in soups
Beets - chopped, boiled, added to salad
Other options - frozen broccoli and green beans

This might not be an exhaustive list of everything, and it may be so unorganized, but at least it's something of a plan!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly